Many know that carbon monoxide is something to avoid, but few realize just how important it is to steer clear of this harmful gas. Carbon monoxide finds its way into homes through fireplaces, stoves, inserts, ovens, dryers, and even through vehicles in the garage. Regularly maintaining all of your appliances is a key component in ensuring carbon monoxide never has the opportunity to enter your living space and affect loved ones.The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide - North Reading MA - Sweepnman

Learn more about the dangers of carbon monoxide below. Then contact us to handle all of your annual inspections, chimney sweepings, repair jobs, and more! At Sweepnman, Inc. we’ve got your fireplace and venting needs covered!

Effects On Health

Carbon monoxide has huge effects on the health and wellbeing of those who inhale it. For one thing, it can make you really nauseous and lightheaded. It is also known for causing headaches, blurred vision, shortness of breath, weakness, and confusion. And, if not addressed soon enough, those affected could even lose consciousness.

If you notice these symptoms in yourself or loved ones, leave your home and get to a hospital immediately. Carbon monoxide is fatal if left untreated. In fact, carbon monoxide causes hundreds of deaths and thousands of hospitalizations every single year, just in the United States. Don’t take any chances… always play it safe and get a doctor’s eye on the situation!

How Can I Detect It?

Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is basically impossible to detect with your basic senses. It cannot be seen or heard, and it has no odor, either. The good news is that devices have been created that will warn you of its presence in your home. Like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors should be professionally installed and checked on a regular basis to ensure they are working properly.

If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, leave your home immediately, then call the proper authorities. A professional will be able to assess the situation, address any issues, then let you know when it’s safe to re-enter your home.

Avoiding Exposure

Like we said, a surefire way to avoid exposure to carbon monoxide is by having your appliances and heating systems inspected at least once per year. Luckily, our team can help you out! We’re CSIA trained and certified to inspect, repair, and clean your fireplaces, inserts, stoves, dryer vents, and more. With help from our qualified crew, you’ll gain the peace of mind you deserve in no time!

When it comes to fireplace installation and maintenance, trusting an expert is key. One minor mishap could lead to lots of issues down the line, such as clogs, deterioration, fire hazards, and, as we’ve stated, carbon monoxide exposure. Why take any chances, when our expert team is available to help you out? Give us a call today to set up your appointment!